I’m watching the mainstream media have fits over so-called “fake news.” The theme they are pushing is that fake news stories are more damaging to society than normal news that includes the following:
1. True stories told out of context to intentionally mislead.
2. Biased reporting that the media doesn’t realize is biased.
3. Giving a spotlight to people who are lying.
4. Misleading by putting emphasis on some things and not others.
5. True stories too complicated for the public to understand.
6. True reports of sources that happen to be lying but we don’t know it. (That gives you the Iraq war, for example.)
7. Having boths sides represented when one side is clearly lying or wrong.
8. Simplification to the point of misleading.9. Showing clear disdain for the opinions on one side but not the other.